On this page, you will find a review for the 2017 fall semester exam, which will cover almost everything we learned in class for the first semester.
- Using only your brain (no notes, books, Internet, or anything else) go through the entire review and answer every question you remember.
- ✓ Put check marks next to questions you can easily answer.
- ? Put question marks next to the questions you think you might know the answer to.
- ⋆ Put stars next to the questions you don’t have any idea what the answer is.
- Go back through the review and use what is available to you to answer the questions. Use these resources in this order:
- Your own notes
- Notes from CooperHistory.com
- The textbook
- On each school night between now and your exam, study the questions with stars and question marks for 15 minutes.
Table of contents for this page
- Kahoot reviews
- Printable version
Unit 1: Geography and Native Texans
Use the map on the first page for the first four questions.
- Label the four regions of Texas
- Label the Red River.
- Label a major city in the Mountains and Basins region.
- Label the city of Houston.
- Label Austin with a star.
- How did Native Texan groups treat their environment? (Hint: The verb begins with “a”.)
- Which Native Texan tribe lived in the Mountains and Basins region?
- Which Native Texan tribe lived in East Texas in the Coastal Plains?
- In which direction would you have to travel in Texas to go from a low elevation to a high elevation?
- From ______ to ________.
- What does the study of artifacts help us determine?
Unit 2: Exploration and Early Colonization
- What were some of the accomplishments and challenges faced by Cabeza de Vaca in Texas? (Write at least two complete sentences.)
- What was the major reason missions failed? (Write a complete sentence.)
- What were the three “G”s sought by Spanish explorers?
- Where did La Salle get shipwrecked and what was he trying to reach?
- Shipwrecked at:
- Trying to reach:
- Which group of people had a desire to find gold in the Americas?
- Which time period best describes the Era of European Exploration?
- Why did the Spanish build missions in Texas?
- What explorer hoped to find Cibola (seven cities of gold) in Texas?
- Native Texan groups viewed the construction of missions with ___________, because few people would trust someone building one of those on their land.
- What is the Spanish word for “cowboy”?
- Name two major cities in Texas with names in Spanish (Hint: one is in the mountains and basins region, another is where the Alamo is located.)
Unit 3: Mexican Colonization and Empresarios
- Name at least three empresarios.
- What was the nickname of the families Stephen F. Austin brought to settle in Texas?
- “The Old Three Hundred”, Moses Austin, and Martín De León were all part of the _________ National Era. (Hint: What country controlled Texas at the time?)
- What group of people were concerned about Native Texan attacks during the Mexican National Era?
- What religion did the Mexican Federal Constitution of 1824 require all settlers to be?
- Give some useful descriptions of Green DeWitt.
- At which battle was the Gutierrez—Magee Expedition defeated?
- What motivated the Spanish to colonize Texas? What motivated the Anglos?
- Anglo colonists:
- Which empresario started the first significant Anglo colony in Texas?
- Which filibuster expedition had the purpose of continuing the rebellion of Father Hidalgo against Spanish rule?
Unit 4: The Texas Revolution
- What law had a main purpose of stopping U.S. immigration to Texas?
- Describe the battle of San Jacinto. How long did it last? Who were the leaders of both sides? (Write at least two complete sentences.)
- Which battle resulted in the surrender of Santa Anna?
- Who wrote letters asking for help from the Alamo?
- Which battle was fought in an open land area, meaning that the Texans were likely to be surrounded?
- Name three of the major battles of the Revolution Era.
- Which Texan was executed at Goliad after surrendering to Mexican troops at Coleto Creek?
- What was Sam Houston’s role in the Texas Revolution?
- Which battle involved the “Come and Take It” flag?
Unit 5: Republic of Texas
- Who won the Texas presidential election because both of his opponents died before election day?
- Who was President of Texas when it was annexed into the United States?
- Name three issues Mirabeau Lamar had with the Native Americans while he was President of Texas:
- Who is MOST remembered for helping to develop Texas’ educational system?
- Most people from _________ supported the annexation of Texas because the U.S. could pay its debts.
- Sam Houston was against building a _________ because he thought it would cost too much money.
- Which country was worried about the issue of slavery before annexing Texas?
- Most Texans voted for _______ __________ for president because of his leadership skills.
Unit 6: Early Statehood
- Which treaty ended the Mexican War?
- What do we call an agreement in which each side gives up some of their demands?
- What is the belief that the United States should expand to the Pacific Ocean called?