Below you will find questions for the fifth episode of America: The Story of Us, which is titled “Civil War”. This assignment was due on 1/11/18. Currently, this video is available on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPUzLURipnw
- The “primary reason for the unprecedented levels of slaughter in this war” was a new kind of ___________.
- “In many ways, the Civil War was the first ___________ war.”
- “More often than not, the result of a direct hit: _____________”
- “By the time of the North’s final victory, over 600,000 men on both sides are dead, some ______ percent of the entire U.S. population.”
- “In current population terms, that’s the equivalent of ______________ people.”
- Which side was “determined to defend its independence and its system of slavery”?
- The south’s “prosperity” (wealth) was built around what crop?
- What advantage did the Confederacy have over the Union?
- What method of transportation did the North use to get troops and supplies to the front lines of the war?
- In the North, “for the first time in history, __________ is put behind the war effort.”
- What was the simple device that transformed how the Civil War was fought and won?
- “The carnage would trigger a revolution in __________ “
- “Twice as many soldiers die from _________ and __________ as on the battlefield.”
- Clara Barton would go on to create the ____________ _______
- Lincoln was determined to end the war and abolish ___________.
- “On January 1, 1863, Lincoln issues a proclamation abolishing slavery in the rebellious ____________ states.”
- “In the wake of Lincoln’s emancipation of the slaves, _________ American soldiers rushed to enlist for the Union.”
- Sherman’s strategy of _________ _________ meant destroying anything in his path.
- What happened to Lincoln within a week of the end of the war?
- Who killed Lincoln and why?
Exit ticket: Technological Advances During the Civil War
|1. Allowed soldiers to send letters home. ____|
2. Advances in this field included anti-infection and painkilling substances. ____
3. This new bullet increased the death rate from gunshot wounds. _____
4. Gave the Union a communication advantage over the Confederacy. _____
5. Allowed soldiers’ bodies to be preserved until they were returned home. _____
6. Allowed the Union to transport people and supplies to the front lines. _____
7. Spread information about the war to people at home. _____
8. Allowed people to see the devastation of war.
|a. Minié ball|
g. Postal service